Find out what needs to be done when planning your wedding with our monthly guide.
Just engaged? Starting to envision your wedding? Wondering about all the things you’ll need to do and when? Our month-by-month snapshot of all your wedding to-dos will steer you in the right direction.
12+ months before
- Envision your wedding and draw up a budget.
- Assemble your “planning team.” Consider hiring a wedding consultant.
- Pick a wedding date and time. Select several options, then check with your venues, officiant and important guests before finalizing.
- Start planning the guest list.
- Look for and book ceremony sites and reception sites.
- Ask friends and relatives to be in the wedding party.
- Optional: Have an engagement party. You may want to register beforehand for gifts.
8–10 months before
- Bride: Think about, shop for and order your gown.
- Envision reception food.
- Decide what type of entertainment you want. A pianist for the cocktail hour, strolling violinists, a DJ or band?
- Think about your floral décor.
- Research and book your wedding professionals. Interview vendors: photographer, videographer, reception band or DJ, and florist.
- Research a wedding insurance policy to protect your deposits.
- Research and reserve accommodations for out-of-town guests.
- Register for gifts.
- Contact rental companies if you need to rent anything for the ceremony or reception, such as chairs, tables and a tent.